Saturday, August 30, 2008

Fighting for Peace

School is about to start. The first day of school can be the biggest stressor for a young person. One of my sons deals with this stress by behaving in outlandish ways. I get it, but I am sure my neighbors don't understand his need to urinate in the backyard (God bless his little self). Now I am not a boy, hence I would probably deal with that kind of stress with chocolate or being a little cranky to those around me. I guess when you have an "outty" it becomes your primary means for expressing yourself.

I can only guess at what kind of stress my little doggie has. Evidently, the overactive squirrels preparing for hibernation are too much for her. She has taken to collecting rocks in a pile underneath my bed. Cute, right? Well, I recently noticed that the decorative rocks displayed in a glass bowl on my dining room table have become additions to her pile. So tell me, how does my hoarding pooch get those rocks? She is up on our dining room table when we are not home! Gag.

God has called us to live in peace. Throughout the Bible we read of God's promise to bring us peace. The Holy Spirit is our Comforter. Why, then, am I fighting daily to keep myself in peace? Because I am human and, if I am honest, a bit of a control freak. Thankfully, my loving Father God is patient.

Sometimes I think I have things under control. I am a rather capable woman. I can usually walk with more than my share of balls in the air. It is this gift that gets me in trouble. I get over-confident and starting thinking it is ME that is so great. BUT, it is not about me. My life must glorify God, not my ability to handle stress.

Ugh, so as a warrior chick (thank you Holly Wagner) I am drawing my sword. Enemy beware! I will fight for peace because God promises it. I am more than a conqueror in the arms of my Father, I can speak to my circumstances and declare victory because I serve an Almighty God. I know that my needs (all of them) are met because the Bible says so.

Hoo-Rah (or however that goes).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, must be a God-thing again, cause your last paragraph is exactly what I needed to hear right NOW! Help me God! Hoo-Rah!! :)