Thursday, September 25, 2008

in the middle of it all

I was just doing some Bible reading this morning and came across John 6, the story of Jesus feeding the 5,000. We have all read this before but this morning a couple of pieces just jumped out at me (which seems to be how God speaks to me lately, or the way I am willing to listen).

All of these people are assembled to hear Jesus speak or to receive miraculous healing. Realizing the physical needs of this multitude, Jesus asks one of his disciples where they can buy bread to feed them all. So here are these disciples, not entirely yet sure who Jesus is, young, not wealthy faced with feeding 5,000+ people. I have done enough event planning to know that even with a team of caterers, this is no small task. The noise level involved with feeding that large of a group without a PA system, would be daunting alone. Then, verse 6 says, "He asked this only to test him, for He already had in mind what he was going to do."

I thought, "Hmmm, here I am in my life faced with some large tasks just ahead of me and I bet that God knows already what he is going to do about them." I need to just relax a bit, ease up on my reigns and seek Him a bit more to find out how we are going to handle this. HE ALREADY HAS A PLAN.

Then, just after that in verses 16-21 the disciples are in a boat heading to Jesus' next speaking engagement in Capernaum. :) [I am so funny I know.] There was a strong wind and the waters were rough. They were ROWING (thank you Father for motorized boats) for 3 to 3.5 miles and then they saw Jesus approaching, walking on the water. So just like I would have, they freaked out and were afraid. But then Jesus spoke to them and said, "It is I; don't be afraid.". Verse 21 was the interesting one to me, "Then they were willing to take Him into the boat,". OK, so I assume that before that they were like, "Row faster, he's catching up." Right? But, it was the voice of God that quited them down so they were able to receive Him.

Boy, this is me right now, rowing and rowing and rowing just trying to get out of the storm and away from the things that scare me, when I just need to hear the voice of God to understand and receive. Thank you Father for your word, for my church so that I can receive of you and not be in fear.

Hopefully this encourages you as it has me this morning. SLOW DOWN AND LISTEN, GOD ALREADY HAS A PLAN. And, stop rowing so quickly... aren't you tired?

No comments: